The Institute for Virtual Environments and Computer Games — through multi-disciplinary research projects encompassing the fields of anthropology, art, computer science, engineering, history, medicine, psychology, science and technology — bring together innovative researchers from across the UC Irvine campus and neighboring institutions for the common goal of understanding and creating technology and applications that transform how we:
- see the world through immersive visualization and virtual tours;
- interact and socialize with global communities;
- communicate and collaborate with colleagues in virtual collaborative space;
- provide medical care and training to the remotest corners via telemedicine and simulations; and
- educate all ages and populations using virtual environments, as well as the challenge and draw of computer games.